BETH ABRAHAM HILLEL MOSES…LOOKS BACK ON YESTERDAY
Congregation Beth Abraham was formally established by the filing of Articles of Association, May 10, 1892. A small devoted group first held services in a private home on Hastings near Winder. In a few years, with a membership of 50 families, its first Synagogue was established on Winder Street, between Hastings and St. Antoine. As areas changed, the synagogue moved to Palmer, then to Linwood in 1932, and in 1954 to West Seven Mile Road. The Synagogue moved to its present location in West Bloomfield in August of 1971.
In 1971, the 30 year old Congregation Beth Hillel and its 150 families joined Beth Abraham to become Beth Abraham Hillel. In 1975 a merger with Congregation Beth Moses was effected and Rabbi A. Irving Schnipper joined the spiritual staff and the joined congregations became Congregation Beth Abraham Hillel Moses.
Beth Abraham Hillel Moses has been blessed with inspiring leadership from early days with Rabbi Judah Leven thru 35 years with Rabbi Joseph Thumin, of blessed memory. Rabbi Halpern, called to our pulpit in 1949, continued the farseeing leadership that brought honor to our Congregation as a Jewish spiritual center and a strong force for good in our community. Dr. Leopold Neuhaus and Rabbi Joel Litke served the former Beth Hillel. Cantor Shabtai Ackerman came to us from Israel in 1957 and in 1958 Cantor Israel C. Fuchs moved to Detroit from Israel and became our Associate Cantor and Choir Director, sharing his talent as composer and conductor with the congregational family. In January of 1982, Rabbi Halpern, Cantor Ackerman and Cantor Fuchs were retired with Emeritus Status and Rabbi Schnipper became the spiritual leader. In 1983, Cantor Ben-zion Lanxner, native of Israel and former resident of Belgium, became Hazzan.
January 18, 1983 was a night of holocaust for Beth Abraham Hillel Moses…the night when our beautiful Sanctuary, Social Hall, Lobbies and front portion of our building were completely consumed by fire. But…with perseverance, loyalty and faith, we rebuilt and our congregational family was again able to enjoy the wondrous privilege of worshipping in their newly reconstructed Sanctuary for the High Holydays of 1984.
Located on lovely wooded acres on Maple Road between Inkster and Middlebelt Roads, our synagogue is a landmark in our community. Here young and old gather together for worship, study, family milestones and celebrations for social, cultural and recreation purposes. Distinguished guests and visitors from all creeds and walks of life come to our Synagogue regularly and are warmly welcomed…making out of Beth Abraham Hillel Moses A HOUSE OF PRAYER FOR ALL PEOPLE in the truest sense. We have built for our children…our grandchildren, the community and the generations to come.