Tikkun Olam Committee
(Tikkun Olam Social Action Team – TOSAT)
Dedicated to Improving the World
The TOSAT team of Congregation Beth Ahm is dedicated to embracing life with hope for the Greater Good. We endeavor to take on projects for the benefit of our synagogue family, the Jewish community in the Detroit Metropolitan area and the non-Jewish community in our surrounding area.
Our projects include:
- Ronald McDonald House: preparation and serving dinners three times per year
- Yad Ezra: Sunday delivery three times per year
- Mitzvah Crib: Collection of infant and children’s new or nearly new clothing, toys, books. Also collecting children’s clothing. All is delivered to the Kolel in Oak Park for Jewish families in need of help. (2012 annual collection: Crib will be up in Beth Ahm lobby starting November 21 for 30-45 days.)
- Chanukah Gifts: Anonymous adoption of family/families for gift giving and food to families not able to do this for their family Travel sized toiletry collection for the homeless
- Gift check to Mazon: A Jewish Response To Hunger (Help Our Heroes) for returning service personnel on active duty in the US armed forces
- Beth Ahm Passover and High Holyday Appeal for Yad Ezra: Since TOSAT began in 2007, Beth Ahm has collected over $28,000.00!
- Summer In The City collection box in lobby for gathering art supplies and games for Detroit projects during the summer
- Our community wide past projects have included WISDOM, an interfaith program, Empty Bowls in conjunction with Family Programming to raise funds for four charities, and Jewish Gay Network meeting with speakers and Q&A session from audience.
We welcome any and all congregants to join us at our committee meeting, usually held the third Monday of every month at 11 a.m. Feel free to contact Nancy Kalef at email@example.com for further information.